June 22, 2018
The western part of Millwood Road was originally named Joseph Avenue after Joseph Davis as seen on the Goad map from 1913. The name of this portion of the street was changed to Millwood Road with the amalgamation of the Village of North Toronto with the City of Toronto.
May 21, 2018
Heritage – Did You Know … Erected in 1979, Janet Magee Manor was named in honour of Mrs. Janet Magee, a dedicated community worker in North Toronto, who was born in Lombardy, Perth County, Ont. Read more at: http://www.torontoplaques.com/Pages/Janet_M_Magee.html Janet M. Magee Historical Plaque – torontoplaques.com www.torontoplaques.com
May 18, 2018
Amy Isaac, Sharon Mourer organized a very successful Davisville Village Jane’s Walk which took place on Saturday May 5, 2018. Two large groups of residents strolled through the neighbourhood and discovered some well hidden historical homes and sites in Davisville Village East.. Thanks to our Jane’s Walk leaders, community volunteers and everyone who came out to learn about our neighbourhood. In case you missed the walk, we will be doing a repeat in conjunction with … Read moreSecond Annual Davisville Village Jane’s Walk (May 5, 2018)
January 14, 2018
Feb 4, 2018 Update: More than 100 people attended the community meeting to share ideas on how to save the Regent Theatre. Thanks to Councillor Matlow for taking the lead on this important initiative and for his support. Click here to read the Streeter.ca article about the community meeting. We will share more information once it is made available. Click here to read the CBC Toronto news article from January 22, 2018. The Regent Theatre on … Read moreSAVE THE REGENT THEATRE
November 15, 2017
The rare “Ontario Cottage” style house at 505 Balliol St. was built about 1888. It appears on an 1890 map of the Davisville area. This house served as a neighbourhood grocery store and post office until the 1950s. Local children would frequent the store for candy and Popsicles. A Coca-Cola sign remained in the front bay window until the 1970s. Despite being one of the oldest existing houses in the Davisville area, it is under threat … Read more129-year old house on Balliol St. is threatened!
November 15, 2017
Yonge Street is to the left with a cluster of buildings of the village of Davisville. The purple circle is around Davisville school. The blue line is where Tullis Dr is now on top of Mud Creek. It appears that today’s short block of Glebe Road is all that remains of the original Glebe Road that went thru the Clergy Reserve. The yellow line is along the Toronto Beltline Railway which is today the Beltline … Read more1890 Fire Insurance Map of the Davisville Area
November 14, 2017
The North Toronto Historical Society has guest speakers every month. Meetings are held on the last Wednesday of the month at Northern District Library, 40 Orchard View Blvd., 2nd Floor. Please click here for details as dates and events may change. 2018 Talks: The North Toronto Historical Society and Northern District Library cosponsor the following talks: February 28, 2018 – York County Archaeology and the Underground Railway March 28, 2018 – Marjorie Pickthall (1883-1922) Canada’s Darling Poet … Read moreThe North Toronto Historical Society – Guest Speaker Series
November 8, 2017
For the past few years the City of Toronto Planning Staff have been working with the local community of Yonge and Eglinton on a study called Midtown in Focus. An important component of the study has been to look at the heritage buildings on our main streets. In August, Heritage Preservation Services released a report that has proposed to add 258 addresses on the Main Streets of Midtown as listings to the Heritage Registry. Approximately … Read moreHeritage in Midtown
June 29, 2017
We are pleased that heritage status has been granted to the theatres on Mt. Pleasant. Read about it in the June 14, 2017 article from Post City Toronto. Did You Know? Granddaughter of the theatre owner during the Depression said that people would often pay with ”merchandise” such as ” nylons”. Some interesting information can be found on these links: Toronto’s Old Movie Theatre – the Mount Pleasant (Hudson) Toronto’s Old Movie Theatres – the Regent (the … Read moreHeritage Status Granted to the Theatres on Mt. Pleasant Rd.
May 22, 2017
Forty people, interested in Davisville Village’s rich history, came out on a day threatening rain, wind and cold temps to learn more about the neighbourhood we call home. They were not disappointed. The 90-minute walk, which started at the original J. J. Davis store at the corner of Yonge and Davisville (today a thriving Starbucks), meandered throughout the Village and took in sights as diverse as the Glebe church lands (now the beautiful Belsize area), … Read moreDavisville Village Jane’s Walk
May 19, 2017
Can you imagine parking a horse at Yonge and Davisville today? Davisville is named after John Davis and his family. John came to Canada from England at age 27 in 1840. The J. J. Davis Store was built in 1894 by the Davis family. A general store and post office were operated by Jack and Charles Davis, grandsons of John Davis. In later decades it became home to other retail stores and is now … Read moreDavisville Village Heritage – The J.J. Davis House